Personal Performance, Personal Art

 Zen avoids making general prescriptions (although thousands of books make it seem that Zen is brain surgery). It's personal. Unique to each person.

So in discussing my personal performance, the "art" of living, I need to be myself: to "ring my own bell".

I consider the 8 fold path as great advice, though I update it considerably for the 21st century.  It's a set of "alarm bells" that go off when I have somehow wandered off the path of Zen.



The classical image of a Zen master is one who doesn't care at all about appearances. He makes no effort to bridge the gap of understanding between himself (always male) and his students. Yet he *must* be presenting himself to his students and *must* convey the art of Zen by example more than words. Zen masters turn out to have a striking presence after all, deliberately intended to convey what will "go over" with their followers.


OSHO - One of my early teachers

For some of these guys, the image is a bit "over the top", working to attract some and repel others. In any case, it's deliberate. It's performance art. In the case of the "master", one hopes that there is substance beneath the package. In Osho's case, he seemed to put out a book per week until he died.

Although I have a passion for teaching, I have little urge to be a "Zen Master". To me, Zen is simply a life well-lived. A life experienced in the full. It's perhaps just mindfulness with an appreciation for history.

A PERSONAL "IMAGE"

What sort of image should I project? How should I put myself "out there" in an authentic way? The first thing I need to do is admit that my current image says I don't give a shit what others think about me. In this corner of the world and this tick of history, such an attitude can be seen (by the don't-give-a-shit crowd at least) as kind of brave. A protest against the superficiality of the culture. Let's be honest. It's just lazy.

I should be expressing (and teaching by example) something different. Specifically, someone who does care.

Right Understanding

For example expressing a genuine interest in other people, not just an opportunity to introduce the wonderful me. Make a serious effort to remember people's names and stories. That's impressive and encourages others to do the same.

Right Thought

If I have something to say, it should be helpful and informative. A question is more likely to make an impression than a clever remark or boring kinda relevant personal story.

Right Speech

I learned years back how "salty language" can totally cancel out whatever I was trying to say. Simply thinking before talking is a habit worth learning. Always better to listen than talk.

Right Action

If I am noticed at all, my actions should be worth emulating.

Right Effort

Putting some time and effort into the skills behind the effective presentation. Such as names. Modest and energetic assistance (when asked for).

Right Mindfulness

Pay attention. Share mindful observations with others. For example, not "The liberals are ruining the country" but, "Do you smell the salt in the air?"

Right Concentration

Pay attention to the moment and the person present. Don't assume you are the star of the show. Allow others to have their moment. Be a good supporting cast.

From the "Taoist" side, I find encouragement to be a skillful and thoughtful craftsman. Whatever I create should express quality and attention to detail. Ideally, such attention will go unnoticed. It is emptiness that makes a vessel useful; openness that creates a door.

MORE LATER

The rest of it may be summed up by shedding the don't give a shit look.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Facebook and Bing - A Killer Combination

A Process ...

Warp Speed Generative AI