The Hawkins Frame - 2

DRAFT ...

Some "nerdy" thoughts as I try to get a "feel" for what experience is, according to Hawkins. Some back of the envelope numbers ...

Hawkins does a great job of introducing a way of watching how consciousness works. Since reading his ideas, I have attempted to observe my own experience in the same way. Being a computer nerd, I think in terms of processing power, parallel threads, pixels, and resolution.

According to the theory, my experience of the world is created by 100,000 "minds", creating 100,000 nested "frames".

The computer screen I am using has 1920 x 1068 pixels, each capable of displaying Red, Green, and Blue in varying intensities = about 2 million pixels. A typical Web page has hundreds of screen elements that the computer decodes and displays smoothly and seamlessly. The retina of the eye has 130 million sensors but the signal to the brain involves about 10% of them at any given time.

Without going into details, the computational power of a single neuron is on par with the computer I'm using. This can be deduced from the complexity of the models that attempt to describe neuron behavior. Also, we may take it that the neuron is more akin to an analog computer, which can be far more efficient at a specific job than a digital computer. I can easily imagine one of Hawkins' cortical columns having computational power greatly exceeding my laptop computer.

It seems to me that it is at least computationally feasible that creation of my smooth and seamless conscious experience, involving hundreds of "objects" that are themselves "frames" with spatial location, rafts of properties, and contained objects with their own frames. This is not that different from presenting a detailed and seamless picture from a raft of complex HTML, literally in the blink of an eye.

What I mean by this would best be illustrated by a picture of what I am seeing at any point in time, along with a few examples of the nested "frames". Another useful example would be a complex Web page with its HTML structure, to show how such an impressive amount of calculation goes into the display of an ordinary picture. For example, the figure of 100,000 "objects" seems adequate for one moment of everyday experience. Remember, by shifting attention, I can "load" a different set of "objects" in a fraction of a second.

The point being is that, under it all, are simple algorithms that produce rich, complex experiences. Hawkins' ideas don't seem totally ridiculous. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Facebook and Bing - A Killer Combination

A Process ...

Warp Speed Generative AI